Late Summer Update

Saturn peaches

I really dropped the ball, didn’t I? I swore I would never turn into one of those crazy wedding ladies, and here I am, unable to think about anything else, actualizing extensive DIY projects that may or may not look good. I guess I’m just really bad at multi-tasking. Actually, I know I’m really bad at multi-tasking; my mind is only able to focus on topics one at a time, wholly, obsessively. I thought it would be nice to let you in on this, mostly to explain my seeming absence of signs of life (a.k.a. virtual activity) on all fronts (blog/Instagram/Pinterest/etc.). I also thought it’d be nice to pop in and say hi, even though I don’t have a recipe to share.

With not enough creative juices and energy to go around, at least to extend to cooking, Chris and I have been subsisting on possibly the most boring diet ever. Cereal. Trader Joe’s Frosted Maple and Brown Sugar Shredded Bite Size Wheats never seems to get old. That, along with the occasional ground turkey taco (seasoned with a powdered mix, I’m not ashamed to admit) thrown in, means we’re skating dangerously close to scurvy territory. But don’t worry! Fruit saves the day, as usual.

I’ve waxed poetic on this food group before, so I’ll refrain in this instance. Instead, I urge you to get your fill of saturn peaches before the summer’s out, especially if you can get your hands on the yellow variety in the picture above. They’re extraordinary. Firm when ripe, not too sweet, and taste made complex by floral notes. (Not helpfully, I’m not sure what they’re called, but I believe them to be a relatively new variety patented only within the last few years. I’ll try verifying this over the weekend.) Another Union Square Greenmarket discovery that made my day.

I can’t say whether or not you’ll hear much from me for the rest of this month and most of the next, but until we meet again, stay well and enjoy the rest of your summers!

1. Chris August 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm · Reply

Luscious! Like a sumptuous still-life in oil…

2. Cathy August 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm · Reply

This photo is spectacular!

3. angelica | table twenty eight August 22, 2013 at 11:54 pm · Reply

In Australia, they’re sold as ‘doughnut peaches’!

Although I love winter in all its forms, the one thing I miss from this season is the bounty of stone fruit. You’ve got me dreaming of peaches now…

4. Jade Sheldon-Burnsed August 23, 2013 at 12:44 am · Reply

Haha! No justification necessary. The same thing happened to me last year when I was getting married. No matter how big or small the wedding, it’s hard not to be consumed! Many happy wishes to you…

This photograph is so stunning…

5. thelittleloaf August 23, 2013 at 3:51 am · Reply

Happy summer – sounds like you’re having a crazy busy but really good one :-) I’m getting married next Saturday so I know how you feel! Here’s to weddings, beautiful peaches and happy days.

6. Amy August 23, 2013 at 5:13 am · Reply

Haha, I was still surprised to see you were putting up posts the past month! Don’t worry about us!!! Have the most fabulous wedding, I can’t wait to hear about it—if you decide to share it with us! xx

PS I have to say, I read through your older posts earlier, and I loved them (even if I didn’t have the time then to comment). That blueberry basil vodka gimlet sounds like exactly the sort of thing I like to drink. We seem to have common tastes with a lot of things. And I agree completely, 100% about your view towards summer. I feel like I could cry I’m so nervous for summer to be over already, yet somehow summer is basically the only season I can remember from when I was a kid… weird.

7. Brianne August 23, 2013 at 10:24 am · Reply

Oh, powdered mix in tacos. I have to tell you a story about the first time Kevin and I made fajitas. We were at the store, and we had the peppers, the onions, the chicken, and we were in the Mexican aisle to get the tortillas. He was getting the tortillas, so I scooted down to grab a packet of fajita seasoning mix. When I went back to put it in the basket, he had this ashen, totally aghast face. “What are you doing?,” he asked. “Getting the seasoning mix,” I said. It was how I had always made fajitas. Now, he’s from New Mexico. “You don’t need that stuff,” he goes. I was totally flummoxed. “But how do we make fajitas without the mix?,” I asked. And then he introduced me to cumin and lime juice in fajitas, and I’ve never looked back.

But holy cow, summer is crazy. Seasoning mixes are totally allowed. We’ve been subsisting on a lot of Trader Joe’s, too. Frozen pizzas, Mac & Cheese, Muesli. And we’re not even getting married this fall! I feel you, and I’m thinking of you as you get closer and closer to the big day! Enjoy every moment!

8. Katie August 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm · Reply

Ah! I wish I’d read this post before going to the market today! I don’t think I’ve ever bought a Saturn peach, shrugging off the shape as just a novelty. But I’m pretty sure my market only has the blushing red kind, anyway, so I didn’t miss out on the yellow ones at least.

Anyway, I imagine that it’d be hard to think about anything else in the home stretch. Take care of yourself in the meantime (eat more Saturn peaches!), and I’m sure it’ll be a beautiful day!

9. carey August 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm · Reply

Oooo, I love saturn peaches, and I have never seen the yellow kind before! Now I’m on a mission to find some. (It’s funny, I never heard them called saturn peaches until I moved to VT — we always referred to them as doughnut peaches in upstate NY. I prefer “saturn” because it sounds way cooler, but it’s hard to shake the hometown vernacular.)

And you totally do not need to explain the absence due to wedding madness. (: I can only imagine how crazy it gets in the final months, and I’m so impressed you’ve been posting as often as you have! Also, I spent a good portion of my (post-college) life eating Cheerios and carrot sticks for dinner (and sometimes shaking things up with a slice of buttered wheat toast), and there was no good life-event reason for that — I was just totally lazy. (I actually ate so many carrot sticks during that time that I started to turn orange. True story.)

Hurray for the big day coming up soon! I can’t wait to hear all about it (and hopefully see a whole lot of pictures too) — woohoo!

10. Heather August 27, 2013 at 11:02 pm · Reply

A beautiful photo.
    Planning a wedding takes a lot of time and energy. Give it 100%.
    Looking forward to hearing all about it.