1. Tia S. April 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm · Reply

I’ve been wanting to try Guinness cake/cupcakes for a loong time… And I feel (as a fellow long-term traveler) it’s my duty to celebrate your milestone with you as well. =) Congrats!

2. Amy April 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm · Reply

Ah, this was a cool post to read. I don’t think it was vague at all — I like hearing when someone has all types of emotions wrapped up into one (big) experience… I think it makes people seem less stoic and more vulnerable to all of the crazy emotions that come with plowing forward with your life. Then again perhaps am I am reading this with the bias that I’m getting ready for graduation and all of the uncertainty that comes with it. ;)

And I gotta say, your icing skills are t-o-p. Those are some beautiful cupcakes! And I know it’s always a good recipe when it can please both sophisticated and plebian tastes. :) Sounds like it’d make a top-notch wedding cake.

3. thelittleloaf April 17, 2013 at 2:39 am · Reply

That looks like a seriously delicious cupcake!
    And as for your ramblings, I loved reading them – beautiful words and recipe as always.

4. carey April 17, 2013 at 9:51 am · Reply

Happy one year in NYC!

I love this post, Linda. It’s funny, because the way you described NYC living is very much how I’ve always imagined it — kind of a whirlwind of opportunities and dreams lost, only to soon be replaced by new ones. I almost moved there in my early 20s, right after college, when I felt like I needed some almost chaotic excitement and uncertainty. It would have been a lot of fun, but, knowing me, I probably would have burnt out very quickly, so it’s probably good that I eventually went the VT route instead. (:

And I love your travel stories! I want to hear more of those. What an amazing experience that must have been. And one that can truly help you appreciate how it feels to finally put down roots and call a place home, even if that comes with its own different set of uncertainties.

And these cupcakes sound divine! Stouts bring so much awesome flavor to the chocolate party. So is this what you’ve decided on for your wedding cake?? If so, it seems like a great choice! (:

5. Claire April 18, 2013 at 11:19 am · Reply

Hi there!!

I make chocolate guinness cake on a regular basis to take to work, definitely my ‘signature’ cake now. I use a Nigella Lawson recipe (from her Feast book) which is pretty similar, the only difference being in the topping.

That recipe uses cream cheese, icing sugar (think you call it confectioners sugar?) and double cream. It is to die for, the addition of the double cream just takes it to the next level :D

Claire

6. Jet April 20, 2013 at 3:18 am · Reply

Would you be able to provide the metrics for this recipe perhaps? Would love to make it for my sisters birthday!

7. shoko May 5, 2013 at 11:20 pm · Reply

whoa! i’ve never heard of such a thing – looks delicious. i want to lick the frosting off the screen!