1. Stephanie May 22, 2013 at 8:21 am · Reply

How did you know that I’ve been on a rampant tempura craze for the past few weeks? The want was actually born a couple months ago when we went for sushi and the table behind us ordered a huge platter of vegetable tempura. It looked and smelled so good I kept casually turning around in my seat to take a peek. I was actually pretty impressed with the woman who ordered it too because she was just with her young son and they had a whole tables-worth of sushi, salad, soup, tempura, and chicken. That’s the way to do it I say!

Anyway, when Jason and I got back from Florida the first thing we did was drive to lunch and we happened to pass by this new-to-us “sushi and tempura” place. I’m glad I convinced him to stop because this place has the best tempura I’ve had yet! I got the mixed platter of shrimp and vegetable tempura and it was so light and tasty and crunchy– not soggy at all.

So this is pretty easy to make, huh? I should really try it! The only other time I’ve made a batter like this is when I fried goat-cheese stuffed zucchini blossoms. But I bet these asparagus ones are much quicker to prepare.

I totally get you on the asparagus urine thing. Such a non-pretty thing to talk about but it’s for realz. :-p

2. thelittleloaf May 22, 2013 at 8:26 am · Reply

Deep fried asparagus pizza? That sounds pretty amazing :-) I love this elegant little veg too and am eating a ton of it at the moment – steamed is my all time favourite but tempura style looks lovely too.
    ps apparently about 1/3 of the population aren’t affected by the asparagus/urine thing – very odd.

3. Eileen May 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm · Reply

Asparagus tempura sounds divine! Of course, I think nearly anything coated in tempura batter and fried is more than worth eating. :) But with fresh spring asparagus? Yes please!

4. carey May 23, 2013 at 9:12 am · Reply

Leftover tempura ON A PIZZA. I need a minute (dying…). That is so crazy genius.

Tempura has been a special occasion dish of my mom’s for as long as I can remember. She and I always argue over how much to make — I think she isn’t prepping enough vegetables, she insists that it’s more than enough, she’s always right. I have managed to convince her to branch out and try different things, like sweet potatoes. We actually made asparagus tempura for the first time a couple months ago, and it was great!

Have you ever made/eaten herb tempura before? I remember reading Alton Brown’s tempura recipe years ago and being super intrigued by the parsley tempura idea (though not enough to make it). Perhaps that’s what I’ll do with some of my excess garden herbs this year.

5. Kankana May 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm · Reply

tempura always sounds so easy to make but I think it’s tricky to get that perfect crispness. This sounds lovely and like the idea of throwing it on pizza :)

6. Eva | Adventures in Cooking May 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm · Reply

Ha! That is awesome. My sister and brother are teachers, and when they tell me about some of the things their students say, I get kind of jealous that their jobs are so much more entertaining than mine :) This looks delicious, btw! My favorite sushi roll has tempura asparagus in it, but I have never tried making anything tempura before. This is realllllly making e crave it though, so that might change soon.

7. Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) May 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm · Reply

I love tempura! And I’ve never had asparagus tempura, so I definitely need to try this. Asparagus is definitely one of my most favorite veggies (despite the awkward urine stink..haha–> definitely the elephant in the room).

8. Hungry Huy May 26, 2013 at 3:32 am · Reply

Hey Linda, haven’t visited The Tart Tart in a while, looks like the site is going strong. The care you put into these posts really show :).

The asparagus tempura looks delicious! I really enjoy broccoli tempura too. Come to think of it…what veggies aren’t better battered and fried? Need to get a kitchen with better ventilation though.

9. Irina @ wandercrush May 28, 2013 at 9:59 am · Reply

You’re so right about the climate affecting our appreciation of seasons—I don’t think I’ve ever celebrated spring quite as fervently as after my first winter in London.. a big change from Florida! Anyway, this is a lovely idea—I imagine it’s beautiful to snack on!

10. Alanna May 29, 2013 at 3:29 pm · Reply

Oh my goodness – stunning photos! This looks SOOO good!

11. warriormom May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm · Reply

thank you so much for an ‘asian styled’ recipe with no sesame! we are allergic here and appreciate it very much!! oh yeah– the photos are GREAT