1. jaime @ sweet road November 15, 2012 at 10:23 am · Reply

Ha! This is a great story! I have had my fair share of interesting experiences in all sorts of places as someone who spends quite a bit of time in San Francisco, so I sympathize with the story

2. carey November 16, 2012 at 8:38 am · Reply

Ah, this sounds familiar. I can definitely identify with that world-weariness as well, since Burlington seems to be one of the east coast havens for drifters in the warmer months. Kindness and sympathy are easily eclipsed by contempt when you see the same woman sitting in the same spot every single day, obviously fake-crying and then asking people if they can spare $5. FIVE?! At the coffee shop where my brother worked, there was this really skinny, slightly cracked-out-looking woman and a guy they referred to as Canadian Tuxedo (for his fabulous denim-on-denim outfits) that hung out there all the time, until one of the employees realized they were running a nice little drug trade out of the bathrooms.

This soup, however, is a great thing to come out of an otherwise unsavory situation (derr…no pun intended). I love the process of making soup, and I definitely don’t do it often enough. It would be nice to start the winter off with this one! :)

3. Johanna Mellis November 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm · Reply

I must admit I did not read your story here. I made your tomato soup last night and it was delicious! I did not actually roast the tomatoes because I had a hard time separating the chopped tomatoes from the juice (the kind I bought was basically a tomato sauce, not sure why!), and I added a bit more seasoning to it – red pepper flakes, more salt and black pepper, and chili powder. I live in FL and the weather has finally cooled down enough to eat soup for dinner. Thank you!

4. Kerri Costa May 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm · Reply

Made this soup for dinner tonight and currently enjoying it. It’s amazing! So creamy and delicious. Thank you!

5. Cookie Driscoll April 22, 2014 at 10:23 am · Reply

Can the soup foundation be made in advance and frozen, or at lease refrigerated?

6. Jhamiel May 31, 2014 at 3:31 pm · Reply

Soup looks delicious! Question… do we remove the bay leaf or do we blend it as well?

7. Pam August 24, 2014 at 8:20 am · Reply

Great story!!! Lived in Bay Area for years, can definitely relate to your adventures. Miss SF very, very much.After living there for a while u really get the sense of ‘I’ve seen it all…’ As to this glorious soup recipe, am making this as soon as it cools down around here (Cincinnati, mid end of August). Can’t wait to try this. Sounds absolutely luscious! Thanks for this recipe!