1. thelittleloaf December 13, 2012 at 8:24 am · Reply

Putting toasted pumpkin seeds into caramels with this spice mix is genius! I’m scared of making candy too – I only ever make recipes that go on judgement rather than temperature as I don’t own a thermometer and get scared by the precision. Maybe I need to brave it though as these look *seriously* good.

2. carey December 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm · Reply

I sooo hear ya on blogging being motivation to try new and somewhat daunting things. It’s been great to be able to say to myself, “OK, I’m going to try this, and even if it doesn’t work out right I bet there are a lot of people out there who can tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it.” And when it does go right, it’s awesome!

It’s amazing what a difference 4° can make. I had the same issue with a couple batches of caramel, and I figured it was just a crappy thermometer. Then I decided to try making maple butter last year, and I asked the owner of the sap house I worked at in high school for some tips. She put a huge emphasis on thermometer calibration, and it turns out mine is 3° off.

I also hear ya on the epic yield of a batch of caramels! I made some a couple years ago and gave a ton away, and there were still so many left. I don’t think it was a coincidence that I had a cavity the next time I went to the dentist. (It probably didn’t help that I also topped some of them with bacon and dipped them all in chocolate…) I love the idea of adding pumpkin puree and pumpkin seeds! These look so good.

3. Amy December 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm · Reply

Yeah, definitely wish I were as motivated as you and used my blog as a reason to cook long-lost things I’ve been dying to make for years. But nope! I am lazy and justify my actions by saying that my blog should be an accurate representation of what I make and cook. But that just turns in a way for me to avoid things (ahem, candy-making, deep-frying). I want to try these! I hope you make different versions of caramel in the future, maybe your motivation will eventually rub off on me…

4. Katie December 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm · Reply

These came out so gorgeous. I feel you on the “food blogging making you try things you’ve always wanted to” thing also – I think my biggest success of this year was homemade creme de cassis. Sometimes the seasons feel too short to try every DIY food thing that I want to, though.

5. Angela December 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm · Reply

I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!;) But seriously, they look delicious. And they are made from pumpkin – my love;)I must do them. Great recipe and great blog.

6. Clarisse April 18, 2013 at 11:41 am · Reply

They really look delicious, and you give me an idea. I think I can offer this for ceremonies at the end of the meal. They are really nice, I will try the recipe I’m sure they will be perfect in a nice basket. Thanks!

7. Carrie August 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm · Reply

I’m searching frantically to find those beautiful wrappers you used, but I’m not finding anything. What did you use and where can I find them? Thank you!

8. Mickael September 20, 2013 at 1:58 pm · Reply

Hello! Listen here in France we use saying: ça tombe à pic! That means that your receipe is perfect as we are coming to the automn the season of the pumpkins! :)

9. Joybee October 7, 2013 at 2:11 pm · Reply

These look so good. And I bet they are great gifts too. I hope to try and make caramels sometime…I use my blog in the same way (it encourages me to make things that I usually shy away from because of difficulty). Your pictures are gorgeous.

10. Sam M. | Atkinson Drive October 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm · Reply

This looks delicious! I’d love for you to join the Pinworthy Projects party! http://www.atkinsondrive.com/pinworthy-projects-link-party-12/

11. Alyssa November 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm · Reply

I have been really wanting to make caramels, but we can’t do dairy in our house. Has anyone out there tried subbing coconut oil for butter and full-fat coconut milk for the cream (full fat coconut milk comes in at a whopping 17g of fat per serving so maybe it would wold for a sub for cream?)? I’m hesitant to try it because I know candy making is also science and it doesn’t always work to sub things out for others.