1. Stephanie February 21, 2014 at 9:51 am · Reply

How interesting with the orange and sweetened condensed milk! I’ve never seen a recipe for tacos with those ingredients. But man, does it look lovely! And yes, the best tacos me and Jason have ever had were indeed also in Mexico. Well, and actually, I’ll be honest, there are some pretty damn good ones at a small taqueria in Chicago too (especially bomb at 3 am after a night of drinking!). But yes, authentic Mexican tacos don’t have a lot of superfluous stuff on them. Just really good meat, cilantro, and pickled onions/radishes. Sounds so good right now! I love your wedding photos. You looked gorgeous, Linda! That dress was beautiful.

2. Kathryn February 21, 2014 at 10:58 am · Reply

I’m an enthusiastic consumer of meat too – when I was little, pretty much the only thing I would eat in a restaurant was a medium rare steak. Nothing else. I love this simple approach to tacos too, just focusing on the good stuff. Excited to try this recipe.

3. cynthia February 21, 2014 at 3:56 pm · Reply

Linda!!! There is so much to love about this post, I don’t know where to begin. Two of my favorite things — beautiful meat and beautiful weddings. Meat! Wedding! Meat! Wedding! First, I’m so intrigued by a carnitas recipe with condensed milk in it. I’ve never made it to begin with, but I love the idea of a touch of sweetness and creaminess to it. Love. Second, I ADORE everything about your wedding! It looked like the perfect day (despite — or because of? — the rain!) and every touch was impeccably elegant. Knowing you, I’d expect nothing less. LOVE your touch-of-whimsy dress, too. Ahhh. Off to pin all of it….

4. cheri February 22, 2014 at 12:02 am · Reply

what a great recipe, the addition of condensed milk is a new one for me. will have to try this. beautiful pics

5. Maci February 22, 2014 at 7:25 pm · Reply

This was so good! I made it tonight :)

6. Brianne February 23, 2014 at 8:09 am · Reply

Ooh, I love carnitas. We first made them following this recipe–no frills there, just pork, water, and salt. I will third that the bit of sweetened condensed milk sounds really intriguing. I wonder if the sugar in it help the meat brown more? Cook’s Illlustrated loves adding sugar to meat to intensify the crust on a seared piece of meat. The carnitas we make never really get nice and brown, either. Sugar would probably fix that!

Your wedding photos are gorgeous! I love your dress; those black details are so beautiful. I love the tone your photos have, too–it really reflects the rainy day, and your happiness just brightens it. And all the details–the bouquets, the table settings, the typography–so wonderfully done. Thank you for sharing your day with us!

7. MB February 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm · Reply

Oh my… your wedding pictures are absolutely gorgeous… your dress! the flowers! and all the graphic elements… wow. And my family will absolutely love the carnitas recipe. thank you for such a lovely post.

8. Lindsay February 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm · Reply

This looks so great! I am with the other commenters, love the idea of sweetened condensed milk. I saw that you asked about what to do with the rest…. I love this light lemon dessert: http://www.perfectingthepairing.com/2012/08/lemon-trifle-and-garden-woes.html.

I LOVED the wedding pictures. Every detail was gorgeous. I am dying to know what is in the craft bags at each place. Love the menu printed on it with rosemary, brilliant! What was inside? Lucky guests!

Gorgeous site!

9. Trisha February 27, 2014 at 6:39 am · Reply

I love meat TOO! and this looks great x

10. Cindy February 27, 2014 at 11:40 pm · Reply

I love, love carnitas and this style of tacos…so simple, yet so perfect.

Your wedding looks like it was so lovely and your dress…so pretty and fun! I always have a soft spot for peeking at weddings on The Wedding Chicks since mine was on there (nearly 4 years ago, yikes!).

11. Danielle February 28, 2014 at 6:59 pm · Reply

I’m making this for my man tonight – he’s Cuban and loves pork. I’m excited!

Do you leave the oranges in wedges or do you squeeze them in?

12. Rebecca March 2, 2014 at 4:00 pm · Reply

We had this for dinner this evening and it was delicious! This recipe rivals any taqueria and now I know how to make it at home. I recommend this easy and tasty recipe for any who want a healthier carnitas option.

13. Canal Cook March 30, 2014 at 9:01 am · Reply

These look delicious. My brother is living in Mexico city and carnitas there seem a little bit scary, he says they often involve eye balls. A step too far in the offal direction for me.