1. Amy December 9, 2012 at 12:59 pm · Reply

Ooh I love the name, even if they’re technically moonshine marshmallows or not. I think a bailey’s version of this sounds delicious, or even a non-alcoholic version (yeah, I wish I liked more alcohol-flavored desserts but I’m a wimp!). And I love the photographs in this post– so dark and festive.

PS I would trade you your overworking-radiator apartment for my house. 60 degrees is way too cold for me!

2. jaime @ sweet road December 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm · Reply

Beautiful photos! I decided this year for the holidays I want to make little homemade food packages for gifts and homemade marshmallows seem like a great option. I’ve never made them either, so all the more reason to test it out!

3. carey December 10, 2012 at 7:51 am · Reply

Ever since I saw that Food52 post, I have been dreaming about all sorts of boozy marshmallows. Bourbon marshmallows sound way better to me than moonshine. (: I’d also love to try them with the Root or the Snap liqueurs from Art in the Age.

I’m so glad you linked to the DL post too. I went through a little candy-making obsession phase (which mostly involved a lot of reading and some actual candy-making). In doing so, I read a lot about corn syrup, and how sometimes it really is exactly what you need—no substitute. When I do use it, I usually buy the hippy-dippy all-natural light kind, which kind of makes me feel good…until I have to actually shell out almost $10 for it. Another thing that I love subbing for corn syrup on occasion is Lyle’s Golden Syrup (which can be kind of hard to find in the US, but they always have it in our natural foods store). It has similar properties to corn syrup (it inhibits crystallization and all that jazz), but it has a richer flavor. It’s a lot sweeter than corn syrup though, since it’s an inverted sugar, so it doesn’t work for everything. But it can be a great substitute sometimes, and it comes in an awesome tin!

4. thelittleloaf December 10, 2012 at 8:40 am · Reply

I absolutely love the idea of bourbon marshmallows. I’ve only ever made my own once for marshmallow teacakes and was amazed by how easy they were – you’ve taken them to a whole other level. Bookmarked to make asap!

5. Sloane @ Life Food and Beer December 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm · Reply

If I had gelatine, I would be making these right now!! Such a great idea!!

6. Jenny December 12, 2012 at 10:07 am · Reply

Hey, do you know of a way to make these vegan? What might one substitute in place of the gelatin?

7. JazzQueen December 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm · Reply

When I was researching marshmallow recipes a few months ago, I read somewhere that adding bitter flavoring, like espresso or teas, to confections works great. Apparently they balance each other out. Just an interesting idea that I’m throwing at you (maybe you have run across this in your research already?)!

8. Carly December 22, 2012 at 5:06 pm · Reply

This looks so delicious. I really love your use of the silver background in the photos – it gives such a wonderful wintery feeling, and makes me want to curl up with a mug of marshmallows and hot chocolate!

9. Steph July 25, 2013 at 10:28 am · Reply

Just made these! Was super-pleased with the texture (after an almost uh-oh moment with the gelatin – misread total weight as weight per pack!) and the flavor as well. I used bourbon, and there was a great taste using the recommended amount! One Recommendation: Use mono-filament fishing line as a garrote to cut the marshmallows! Was SO much easier to use than a knife or scissors! Simply wrap around, cross ends and pull. The pieces stick together but pull apart nicely! Could possibly use waxed floss if you don’t have fishing line handy!

10. Rosa December 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm · Reply

These sounds wonderful, and the photos are good too- I love the juxtaposition of textures(they give the sense of the marshmallows’ melting softness). I must admit that I’m also confused about the measurement for the gelatin: is it 1/4 ounce in total? I also love that these are made without eggwhites because I always feel that eggs and anything not completely room temperature can go horribly wrong fast! I’ll be trying these out- this means I have something to use the rest of the bourbon for when I make bourbon spiced popcorn for holiday treats!

1. Rosa December 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm · Reply

Excuse my ridiculous grammar error in the first three words of my comment…