1. thelittleloaf February 25, 2013 at 8:21 am · Reply

I’ve always preferred mussels cooked without cream – I think it can overpower their wonderful fresh fishy flavour. This looks right up my street – delicious with big hunks of crusty homemade bread or, as you say, pasta. Yum.

2. carey February 25, 2013 at 8:47 am · Reply

I, too, am not used to handling seafood (especially shellfish). But if anything were to make me cast aside my hesitation, it would be mussels! This sounds like my idea kind of sauce too — not heavy and creamy, so I can sop it all up with lots of bread. There was a fancy pub Johnny and I used to frequent that did “Burger Tuesdays,” when a few of their dishes would be $10 instead of $15+. This revolved mostly around their burger menu (as the name suggests), but there were a few other things on the special menu, including mussels. That was always my choice, with extra bread and a glass or two of white wine. (:

The tomatoes in this dish also reminded me of something I ate many, many years ago, back when a good friend of mine was married to his now-ex wife. She was kind of a B, but she could do some impressive stuff in the kitchen. There was a New Year’s when she steamed up an epic serving of mussels. They were deliciously tangy and spicy, and studded with sun-dried tomatoes. So so good.

3. Natasha February 25, 2013 at 10:47 am · Reply

I love how simply and easy mussels are to make and how amazingly delicious the outcome is! I love a spicy broth with my mussels, so this sounds fantastic. I’ve actually never had mussels in a tomato-based sauce but it sounds wonderful–perfect for bread sopping.

4. Izy February 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm · Reply

Mmm, steamed mussels are the best! and the sauce is totally up my alleyway (although that creamy sauce sounds intensely amazing too!) But yes, I’m always wondering what the heck the mussel is thinking about when it’s being prepared, because you can totally tell they know a little bit about what’s going on (if you try to open the shell of a live one that’s slightly open, it just clamps shut. No joking around, I feel like that mussel knows what I’m doing!).

5. shoko March 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm · Reply

i love mussels but have never been brave enough to attempt them in my own kitchen – maybe it’s time to try? :)

6. angelica | table twenty eight March 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm · Reply

Chilli mussels are definitely one of life’s pleasures that requires one to slow down and savour the moment, sauce-covered fingers and all! I can’t say that I’ve made them myself but I’ve certainly enjoyed many bowls in my time. Thanks for sharing.

7. Canal Cook March 30, 2014 at 9:05 am · Reply

The last time we went to get mussels from the fish monger, one of them managed to squirm so much it fell off the counter top. That freaked me out a little, but not enough not to steam and eat them