1. Luzia & Berni May 17, 2013 at 9:27 am · Reply

Hey Linda, thank you so much for trying out that recipe. Funny fact: we met each other traveling in South America, and now Berni and I are reading this post in Sydney, Australia where we spend our vacation.
    The pictures are just gorgeous! It looks the way it should, even without the strawberries (they really need to be good ones).
    It is so much fun to read your blog and I love that we’re still in touch via email!
    Berni just mentioned: we’ve got more strange-sounding recipes if you need some ;)

I really do hope we’ll once again sit together with some nice wine and a good meal, be it somewhere in europe or in the us… and if you ever try the “Älplermagrone”, tell me how it was ;)

2. Jazzqueen May 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm · Reply

Loved the personal story behind the recipe!

I’m making rhubarb buckles today with a friend. Hopefully I can procure more rhubarb on my way to her house. Other than baking that, I will be practicing making swiss meringue buttercream this weekend –battle #1: butter temperature. I must defeat lumpiness by September. ;-)

3. Stephanie May 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm · Reply

Such a lovely story, Linda! Great friends are hard to find and it’s so awesome you were able to meet one halfway across the world. Long-distance friendships can be so nice though. Many of my good friends are still back in California (where I grew up) and so whenever I go back to visit family I always make it a point to see them and catch up. And it’s so incredible, no matter how far apart you live or how long it’s been since you last talked, when you get together it’s as if time never happened and you start back where you left off. That’s the best!

Gosh, I’m somewhat embarrassed to read that you’ve done the Inca Trail and I haven’t. Me, a Peruvian, has not done the Inca Trail. :-/ I’ve been to Machu Picchu though and will probably go back again when we fly to Peru late next year. Are there many bugs along the Inca Trail? I only ask because mosquitoes seem to love me and out of 100 eligible people, I am the 1 and only person they bite. It’s quite lovely. Maybe I can walk around in those full-bodied netted thingamajiggies?

I’m totally writing a novel right now. So sorry! Rhubarb…hm, I’m sort of on the fence about it. I’ve tried it a handful of times but never really loved it. I think it was too sour. The addition of Grand Marnier though, that could really twist my arm. I LOVE that stuff (expensive ish though, isn’t it??), especially in the winter when I dribble it into my hot chocolates. Mmm…

4. Angela May 18, 2013 at 4:18 am · Reply

Beautiful story and delightful recipe.

5. carey May 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm · Reply

What a great story! That is so awesome that you gals kept in touch. (: I loved doing the pen pal thing with my cousins when I was young. Sometimes I miss writing/receiving actual letters, but I feel like having the blog and reading/writing comments sort of fills that void. (Also, my penmanship has totally gone to sh*t, so anything handwritten by me at this point is just sad.)

I love tiramisu, but never would have thought in a million years to incorporate rhubarb into it. Yum! I found the note about the sweetness of US vs. European desserts really interesting. Although not exactly the same thing, I remember having sweetened yogurt in Germany and being surprised by how tart it was (nowhere near the sugary vanilla-ness I was used to eating back home).

Also, I absolutely adore the colors in these shots. They’re so beautiful!

ALSO also, Macaroni for the Alpine Herdsman sounds amazing. (:

6. Shelly May 20, 2013 at 8:43 am · Reply

Marscapone and rhubarb? Yes please!

7. Amy May 20, 2013 at 8:55 pm · Reply

Luzia sounds like an awesome friend. I’m always trying to befriend people who potentially become cool international connections and/or can hopefully rub off on me cool language skills.

And this looks good, good, good. I think the ugliest desserts are some of the tastiest. This looks similar to a rhubarb fool that I’ve been wanting to try out for the longest time. Anything pudding-like with fruit layered through it is fine by me, really. And I read Luzia’s comment above, and I say you should take her up on the offer to try out even stranger sounding recipes! ;)