1. Stephanie November 17, 2013 at 7:40 am · Reply

So that list of things you don’t like to eat on Thanksgiving and the list of things you do– yup, spot on for me too! I can honestly do without the turkey entirely (I maybe nibble on a tiny piece from the leg) and gorge on all the sides, most notably the mashed potatoes! God I love potatoes, any which way honestly. I have to admit just the other day I was so desperate for mashed potatoes I went ahead and used some leftover from the instant mashed potato mix I had bought when I was still suffering from food poisoning (I had read instant mashed were a good, bland food to eat). It wasn’t horrible…but it left me wanting to have another bowl of “real” mashed potatoes with lots of butter and heavy cream…and maybe some cream cheese. :) I think I know what I’ll be having come Thanksgiving.

Brussels sprouts for me, is relatively new. I maybe started enjoying them about 4-5 years ago? I love them now of course and get so excited whenever I see them fresh on the stalk. So glorious and beautiful and such a joy to eat! I find it therapeutic to prepare them too– all the trimming and disrobing involved is a nice change of pace.

2. Sini│my blue&white kitchen November 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm · Reply

This dish looks absolutely delicious! Brussels sprouts are a great but unfortunately mostly underrated vegetable. And what comes to juniper berries: actually here in Scandinavia we use juniper berries quite a lot in our cooking. They go especially well with game.

Can’t wait to make this!

3. Brianne November 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm · Reply

Oh, I love A Girl and Her Pig! I didn’t really do Thanksgiving in college–I usually wasn’t able to get home, but once I met Kevin in graduate school that all changed. I’ve been home with him for Thanksgiving twice, and this year we’re staying in Maine and making a big feast for just the two of us! I’m really excited. I love all Thanksgiving foods.

We were hiking yesterday and found some juniper berries, so we picked one each to try. Holy cow, their flavor is unreal! I have an unopened jar of dried berries in my cupboard, but the fresh ones were just crazy. It was like eating really strong gin! My mind was blown. Maybe I’ll go snag a couple and make this recipe! Brussels sprouts are a Thanksgiving must.

4. Heather @ French Press November 17, 2013 at 11:20 pm · Reply

the sides are all I eat – and brussels are my favorite of those! what a stunning dish

5. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate November 18, 2013 at 1:43 pm · Reply

I have seen bacon and brussel sprouts together all the time but never with juniper berries. It seems like a very festive combo!

6. Katie November 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm · Reply

There’s a similar recipe in Nigel Slater’s Tender that I really like. It has the same basic elements – bacon, brussels, juniper – and they also cook in a pan together. (I think that the sprouts get a quick blanching first maybe, though?) Anyway, it’s a winning combination. Those momo brussels sprouts are my favourite, though. I first made them a couple of Thanksgivings ago and several times since then.

Good luck with hosting this year. I’m sure it’ll be fabulous!

7. carey November 21, 2013 at 9:48 am · Reply

Juniper berries! I will have to try this soon, as I can sort of imagine the flavor combination of the berries, brussels sprouts, and bacon, but I definitely need to taste it to have a full understanding. Since the idea is kind of fuzzy in my head, I’m sure it will blow me away when I actually try it. (: I’m definitely making those Momofuku-style brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving this year! (My parents will be making the trip up again this year, so pretty much everything will be vegetarian friendly, except the big ol’ bird.)

And speaking of the turkey….the spatchcocking technique intrigues me! I’ve baked mine in a standard fashion à la Alton Brown for the past three years, but a totally done turkey in 80 minutes? So into it.

8. Two Red Bowls November 22, 2013 at 10:51 pm · Reply

Juniper berries are such an interesting addition! It’s so unusual to see something new with Brussels sprouts these days when I feel like everywhere I turn is another recipe for them. (And even I plan to post one this week…. but it’s definitely not nearly as interesting as this one is!) And love the stunning photography as always.

9. Kristy @ She Eats January 23, 2014 at 12:54 pm · Reply

Holy cow! Your sprouts look amazing here and your photography is insane. In a good way. I’m sharing this t in my newsletter today for She Eats – I hope you don’t mind! I love brussel sprouts – any time, any place, any how. Except is they’re boiled. Blech.

Thank you so much for taking such incredible pictures and having such an awesome blog. You’re so inspiring