1. carey February 28, 2013 at 12:08 pm · Reply

Omg yes! Flour frosting!! This recipe is pretty similar to my favorite frosting ever: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/ (which I found my googling “the best frosting ever,” I’m not ashamed to admit!)

I was using it for just cupcakes for a while, but I finally decided to be brave and try it out on layer cakes, and I was so pleased with how well it stood up. It’s such an unusual technique, and it totally has that old-fashioned-method feel to it. (I’ve had people—including my mom—watch me make this and be like, “Flour in frosting? Are you sure??” Then they get to taste it, and that shuts them up real fast!) The other thing I love about these recipes is the fact that they use milk/heavy cream, which opens up lots of options for infusions (chai is my favorite, but I’ve been wanting to try a hibiscus infusion lately, especially since it would probably turn it such a pretty shade of pink). I can imagine how good this is with that hint of honey coming through!

OK, now I will talk about the whole cake, not just the frosting. It sounds delicious, and props to you for grinding those pistachios by hand! I also love the idea of throwing a chocolate layer into the middle—I bet that would be amazing!

2. Amy February 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm · Reply

Awesome sounding frosting. I have never heard of adding flour to it, crazy! But it looks and sounds beautiful, so no need to doubt it. :)

Did you use toasted pistachios? I can’t tell but I’m thinking that if they are indeed toasted, if you used raw pistachios next time you might get a slightly more tinged green cake and a stronger flavor.

Your lucky guests for getting a homemade pistachio-chocolate wedding cake !! They’re always so disappointing and commercial tasting.

3. thelittleloaf February 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm · Reply

Ooh, I’ve never heard of or made frosting with flour – definitely something I need to try! And as for honey flavour? Yum. What an absolutely dreamy wedding cake :-)

4. Meghan {For the Love of Dessert} March 1, 2013 at 11:13 am · Reply

OMG. This cake looks amazing, but I CAN’T WAIT to try that frosting. Game changer.

5. shoko March 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm · Reply

this is unbelievably beautiful. bookmarking!

6. JazzQueen March 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm · Reply

It’s a beauty!! The flavors sound delicious too!

7. Eva | Adventures in Cooking March 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm · Reply

Such a strikingly beautiful cake! Kudos on this stunning creation! And it sounds incredible, I am a big fan of pistachio desserts. Need to make this soon!

8. Natasha March 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm · Reply

I have been on quite the layer cake kick lately, so when I saw this, I was too too excited. I love pistachio anything, and I imagine it’s wonderful in a cake. I agree that adding a chocolate cake layer to the mix would be stellar. I have never tried a flour frosting, but I am so intrigued now! It looks wonderfully light and creamy, and any comparison to swiss meringue butter cream is a win in my book!

9. Sally March 4, 2013 at 12:58 am · Reply

This cake looks delicious (I’m a huge fan of pistachio-flavored desserts and I haven’t been able to find a pistachio cake recipe I like.) I have trouble decorating cakes too but yours looks gorgeous even though you say you lack the skills. Aunt Sassy would be proud! Hmm I wish there a bit more of the green color in the cake but great post!

-Sally

10. Laura Dembowski March 4, 2013 at 3:57 pm · Reply

I love layer cakes. This is so beautiful! The flavors sound incredible too!

11. Anika March 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm · Reply

This looks so heavenly! I can’t wait to try this recipe out sometime! I’m dying to know what flour frosting tastes like…

12. Sophia March 13, 2013 at 6:07 am · Reply

The frosting is so intriguing – I am curious to know what it tastes like. The recipe almost looks like a fortified creme patissiere (what with all that butter), yet it contains no egg. Definitely curious as to where that came from.

And kudos to you for hand-grinding the pistachios, what dedication! And I hear you on the subtle pistachio flavour – I think our palate expects a stronger pistachio taste (probably as a result of tasting cakes/pastries/ice cream etc. flavoured with artificial extracts) yet pistachios are quite subtle in flavour. One way to amp up the pistachio flavour (if you would like to do that) is to make your own pistachio paste using roasted pistachios (traditionally made with sugar syrup and even a touch of bitter almond extract but I am sure you could use honey as well). I make mine in a foot processor just like other nut butters, adding about 1 tablespoon of the paste to a regular cake recipe.

13. Vanessa January 14, 2014 at 1:45 am · Reply

Just wanted to say how beautiful this cake was & the frosting also. You are doing a great job and thanks for the great recipe- a total keeper xx

14. Olivia January 27, 2014 at 11:58 pm · Reply

Beautiful cake! I can’t wait to try it! Just wondering about the water… is there something I could substitute for the water? It sounds a bit strange to just add water to a cake. What about maybe milk? Do you know why the recipe just calls for plain water? Thanks…love your blog!

15. Joanne March 16, 2014 at 6:24 pm · Reply

This is actually going to be my wedding cake! (From Baked, themselves). It really is one of the best cakes I’ve ever had!