1. Stephanie October 25, 2013 at 8:29 am · Reply

That is one seriously gorgeous sorbet! I don’t have a ton of experience with quince– in fact, I hardly ever see it available at the market. Course, maybe I’m not looking for it. :) I’ve been ALL about ginger lately. With my latest bout of food poisoning I was drinking a ton of ginger tea and ginger ale. And when I found the energy to make chicken noodle soup, I made sure to add a ton of ginger to that too. It’s amazing the healing properties of fresh ginger!

I need to hunker down and come up with a healthy version of ice cream so I can store it in the freezer. While we were in Cabo last week, I think I ate ice cream like…4 times? That’s unheard of for me. But gosh dangit, I sure did love it!

2. carey October 25, 2013 at 9:50 am · Reply

Quince! I’ve tried to find them up here but have had no luck as of yet. (It’s quite possible that I’m just not looking at the right time. I will be scouring the produce section when I’m there tomorrow.) How amazing is it that they turn the beautiful shade of pink?? I had no idea!

P.S. HUGE Roald Dahl fan right here. The Twits was a favorite, along with Matilda and The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More. Have you read any of his adult stuff? I’ve only read a handful of shorts from Omnibus, but it’s delightfully twisted. (:

3. Katie October 25, 2013 at 11:23 am · Reply

Oh, what a wonderful post! I grew up on a lot of Roald Dahl too, but apart from Fantastic Mr. Fox, it’s been a long time since I’ve thought about the content of the stories. It hadn’t occurred to me just how wacky they are…

But quince! I am desperate for quince. I know of only one market vendor in the city who sells them, and she’s on the other side of the city, so I don’t get there often, and I never seem to get there in time when I do pass by…So enjoy the quince for me too. I’m afraid I won’t see any this year!

4. Brianne October 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm · Reply

Linda, this is beautiful! James and the Giant Peach and Matilda were my favorite books as a child. Kevin read an adult book by Roald Dahl and could not believe it was the same author. Since I do not want my childhood fondness obliterated, I have respectfully abstained from Dahl’s more mature musings.

I am fascinated by quince! I used them once to make an Ottolenghi recipe from The Guardian. It was at least a couple of years ago. (School has eaten so much of my memory that it’s terrifying!) I remember ground lamb, quince, and some herbage. And I don’t think we enjoyed it. But this is a much more appropriate use for quince, I think! That color is spectacular!

5. s October 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm · Reply

I grew up reading Roald Dahl as well. And Enid Blyton. And eating quince, too. I love this sorbet, my family, when they lived in Afghanistan used to make a lovely jam with it, as it grew in abundance there. Happy to have found you via Pinterest.

6. Eileen October 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm · Reply

So pretty. :) I’ve never cooked with quince, but I do know of a few likely trees…

7. Amy October 26, 2013 at 6:32 am · Reply

I agree with everyone else – this was a wonderful post. That top quote is so, so good. (I too loved the twits, mostly because I’m a twin and so my sister and I were often called “twits” as a sort of loving-annoying nickname).

I have no real experience with quince, like at all. I honestly couldn’t even tell you what they tasted like. Do cook with them often, in other ways than in just things like ice cream-sorbets?

8. Ash-foodfashionparty October 27, 2013 at 6:01 pm · Reply

Loving the dessert and the color. Great color.
    The opener is just so perfect.

9. Rachel @ TwinTough October 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm · Reply

I’ve never made anything with quince, but I must say, this sorbet looks fabulous!

10. Shelly @ Vegetarian 'Ventures October 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm · Reply

I LOVE that quote and love the comparison you made between it and quinces. I’ve never cooked with quinces before but I’m going to keep my eye out for them now!