Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /hermes/bosnaweb14a/b1232/ipg.lindaspeakeasycom/thetarttart/wp-content/themes/origin/library/functions/core.php on line 32
Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies » The Tart Tart

1. Amy March 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm · Reply

Food 52 genius recipes are the best, aren’t they? I’ve heard so much about these brownies, ever since I saw Wednesday Chef post about them 3 years ago! Still doesn’t lessen the happiness I get when I see a new post on them, though. Your opinion on them is definitely swaying me to try them (and they look awesome—don’t see anything wrong with their edges!).

I asked for general opinions about what are the “best” brownies on my blog in the summertime, and I kind of concluded that the next brownies I’d have to make would be the ones from Baked. But damn these don’t even require any chocolate! And they ARE declared a genius recipe… sigh. I’m just gonna have to make them one of these days.

And happy birthday (yesterday), Linda !! Oh birthdays are always so exciting! I’m glad you had a nice hedonistic weekend to celebrate. :)

2. thelittleloaf March 6, 2013 at 8:21 am · Reply

I read about these in the genius feature and am intrigued – brownies without chocolate?! They do look seriously good though – and cocoa does add a lovely depth of chocolate flavour… Hmmm, will have to give them a go, yum! (and happy birthday by the way!)

3. carey March 6, 2013 at 9:10 am · Reply

Happy Birthday, Linda!!! I hope you had an awesome birthweekend! (:

I’m definitely going to need to give these things a try. I’ve been stuck on one REALLY awesome brownie recipe for a while, and it would be fun to see how the two compare to each other. (The other recipe is this one: http://indecisivebaker.blogspot.com/2010/05/brownie.html. The very simple title “THE BROWNIE.” was what caught my attention.) They actually seem pretty similar, although the one I’ve been using calls for a little bit more salt and flour, and for espresso powder and chocolate chips too. I think a good sign of a promising brownie recipe is the need to line the baking pan with parchment, so you can heave the just barely cooked fudgy hot mess of chocolate out of the pan with ease!

Also, I don’t know what happened to me over the past few years, but I developed a serious love of walnuts in brownies. (The presence of which was enough to ruin my day when I was a kid.) I told Johnny that once and he kind of recoiled in horror, and it made me feel like an old lady. No one else I feed things to seems to like them either, so I think I might need to start making secret old lady brownies just for me.

4. Eileen March 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm · Reply

Well, I definitely can’t just walk past a recipe for the best brownies ever! These do look pretty fantastic. :)

5. la domestique March 7, 2013 at 1:56 am · Reply

You are killing me with these luscious brownie photos! So good. Happy birthday!

6. Natasha March 7, 2013 at 11:40 am · Reply

I was on a long, treacherous search for the perfect brownie until I came upon Cook’s Illustrated’s brownie recipe–it’s so so good, rich, and gooey. But I have heard of this recipe and am definitely up for trying an all-cocoa brownie. They look super fudgy!

7. Izy March 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm · Reply

haha, I am the worst person at cutting anything bar-esque into even squares, it always fails so I end up just haphazardly cutting chunks of brownie out of the pan when I want one (It makes my perfectionist friends cringe when I do, they can’t deal.). But ANYWAYS, these brownies look amazing! I definitely agree that Alice Medrich’s brownie recipe(s) are THE BEST ones around! (Have you tried her ‘Steve ritual’? You bake the brownies at 400 F for 20 minutes, then immediately take them from oven to ice bath or freezer. It cools the batter so it stops cooking, leaving an immensely gooey centre and crisp, flaky outside. It’s just pure genius). Happy birthday/week!! :)

8. Katie March 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm · Reply

These look amaaazing! I find brownies extremely difficult to shoot and style, so I have to disagree with you as I think you’ve done a fantastic job. Plus, no one ever waits until they cool to eat the first brownie, so they look more realistic this way :-)

9. Eva | Adventures in Cooking March 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm · Reply

I totally feel you on the crackly top. For some reason that is my favorite part of the brownie. If there is no crackly top, then it is only a satisfactory brownie, and not a great one. I think it’s the contrast in texture between the crackly top and the ooey gooey insides that hooks me. These look absolutely perfect! I have to admit I am still scouring for a homemade brownie recipe that tastes as good as the Ghiradelli boxed brownie mix (those dastardly geniuses!) so I will be trying this one very soon! My fiancé is obsessed with brownies so I usually make them about once a month haha :)

10. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen March 14, 2013 at 11:11 am · Reply

Oh yum, what perfect looking brownies!

11. Jorjina April 27, 2013 at 6:19 am · Reply

Isn’t the flour amount too little for two large eggs ???

12. Diana November 18, 2013 at 5:12 pm · Reply

I didn’t even finish reading the recipe and I was already making these brownies. Rich and decadent. I took mine out after 20 minutes so the edges baked up while center tasted like a molten lava cake. Thanks for sharing!

13. Carol January 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm · Reply

Wow, tried these out last night and think they are the best brownies i’ve ever made and all without any chocolate: just brilliant!