1. Katie December 13, 2013 at 9:28 am · Reply

Hm, I had no idea that Danish butter cookies were something that people from China were enthusiastic about! You’d think that they’d bring you something a little more Chinese, like those flaky, yellow, cigar-shaped cookies? I can’t remember what they’re called…

I’m glad you’ve decided to branch out in your cookie-making. These look great! I do, however, share you love of chewy cookies (so long as they’re not chocolate chip).

2. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes December 13, 2013 at 11:18 am · Reply

I grew up making jam thumbprint cookies with my mom…but I never ate them because there were so many other options that included chocolate! These I would totally eat though, they look great!

3. Katrina @ WVS December 13, 2013 at 12:03 pm · Reply

Mmm these are dreamy! Love it.

4. Eileen December 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm · Reply

These cookies sound so good! Chocolate on chocolate for the win. :)

5. Amy December 14, 2013 at 5:51 am · Reply

Haha, we most definitely have the same cookie tastes. Soft, thick and chewy peanut butter cookies, brownie-like cookies, ginger cookies… ALL good things to me. I had a hard time ever eating any other type of cookie, but I think France has been good to me in that respect. Everything here is sable-like – crumbly, buttery, shortbread-like. I’ve really grown to appreciate crunchy and crumbly things with an afternoon coffee or tea (I know, I’ve really grown up). I could definintely, definitely like these chocolat thumbprint cookies.

6. saucy gander December 14, 2013 at 10:55 am · Reply

Ooh chocolate thumbprints, yum!!!

7. Brianne December 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm · Reply

I can’t fathom a cookie-free childhood. But it sounds like you’ve more than made up for that! Here’s an embarrassing confession: I have not made a successful batch of chocolate chip cookies in my adult life. My grandma makes the BEST ones–soft and chewy!!–and mine turn out exactly the opposite. I love chocolatey-chocolate-chocolate cookies, so this year I’m stepping out of my comfort zone with shortbread-y checkerboard cookies. They’re flavored with lime! I can’t wait!

8. Shelly December 15, 2013 at 8:58 pm · Reply

I made thumbprint cookies for the first time the other day as well! There was never a shortage of cookies in my home growing up but thumbprint ones were always looked over for some reason…

These look divine!

9. jen December 15, 2013 at 10:43 pm · Reply

Your blog is beautiful and refreshing. Such loveliness!

10. carey December 16, 2013 at 7:56 am · Reply

You and I are so on the same page when it comes to cookies. My grandma would send my family one of those big assorted butter cookie tins each year around this time, and it always upset me. (I mean, really — who thought it was a good idea to make half a dozen variations of the same dry, flavorless cookie and put them all in a tin like they’re something special?) Every year I’d try one, thinking maybe I was missing something, or maybe there was some new, delicious cookie included in the tin that year. Nope. Gross. Always.

I’ve come around a little bit to shortbread-type things in recent years, but not to the point where I’ve actually made them myself. And I also share your dislike of cooked fruit-filled things, which is probably why I’ve never made thumbprints either. But a chocolate-on-chocolate thumbprint — that’s a cookie I can get behind!

11. phi @PrincessTofu December 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm · Reply

I could lick my screen right now the chocolates are so beautiful! Cookies are lovely too.

12. cheri December 17, 2013 at 9:48 am · Reply

Your blog is beautiful, great writing and pics.

13. Two Red Bowls December 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm · Reply

Hahaha there is so much I identify with in this post! I, too, grew up in a cookie-less household — the first time I tried to bake some, it was in high school with no measuring cups or spoons (because my mother did not own any — there’s an Asian household for you) and I’m sure you can imagine how that turned out. And then I just did break-and-bake for the next six years of my life. And oh my gosh, those Danish butter cookies — it took me so long to come around to any butter-like cookies after that, too! (It took the cranberry orange shortbread cookies that I just posted about before I was willing to give them a shot.) I am HAUNTED by those blue tins. Haunted.

Anyway, the point is, I love this post — I love that you used ganache for the thumbprint instead of jam, I love that first, lusciously dark shot of the cookies, and love that they are smear-free (though not fuzz-free). Wonderful. I need to make thumbprint cookies at some point myself. Yours will be a contender when the time comes. Thanks so much for this!

14. Angela Brown December 19, 2013 at 7:08 pm · Reply

I just discovered your site via a pin on Pinterest for these beautiful thumbprint cookies! I love your photos — the cookies look so, so good. Thumbprints are one of my holiday favorites, one of the few cookies I’ve been making since I was a kid (though the “thumbprints” used to be quite a bit smaller!). I’ve always filled mine with jelly, though I really love the idea of filling them with ganache instead. Chocolate + chocolate can never be a bad thing, right? Thanks for sharing! I’ll be back again soon.