1. Shelly February 13, 2014 at 8:09 am · Reply

My boyfriend and I do the same thing were we take a weekend to travel and have new experiences together instead of buying each other more junk for Valentine’s Day. This year we are going to Atlanta (where he’s never been) to eat at the divvy Flying Biscuit which has the best southern food I’ve ever tasted (not saying TOO much since I’m from the Midwest and don’t adventure down there very often).

Also, love the simplicity of this cake. 6 ingredients and hardly any sugar? My kind of cake!

1. Laura February 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm · Reply

Atlantan here. If you want really good Southern food in Atlanta, the place to go is Mary Mac’s Tea Room. I’ve never been terribly impressed with the Flying Biscuit. The biscuits aren’t even really good.

2. thelittleloaf February 13, 2014 at 9:18 am · Reply

Oh Valentine’s Day, I honestly don’t know anyone who enjoys it for what it is. Although I DO know a lot of people who enjoy it for the cake, like I do, and this is no exception. Hooray for excuses to eat chocolate cake – this looks so good.

3. Katrina @ WVS February 13, 2014 at 9:38 am · Reply

You totally wowed me with this cake – it’s so dark and dreamy!!

4. cynthia February 13, 2014 at 11:00 am · Reply

Agh, this cake is BEAUTIFUL. And so dark and luscious. I gotta say, I’m pretty neutral on Valentine’s Day (though we definitely opt for eating in — I make goofy foods like Spam and Korean pancakes into heart shapes and then we pig out and watch movies) but the absolutely decadent dessert recipes that come pouring in around this time make it A-OK with me. Love this. (Um, and MOMOFUKU PORK BUNS? Yes please!!!!)

1. cynthia February 13, 2014 at 11:01 am · Reply

(Also — “The intrigue of the day used to be my favorite part when I was a teenager—oh the raging hormones.” DYING, LINDA. This is why you absolutely rock.)

5. Eileen February 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm · Reply

V-day at home is so far superior to a fancy dinner out, isn’t it? So much less stress, and you get to eat exactly what you want. :) This cake sounds amazing!

6. Sini | my blue&white kitchen February 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm · Reply

This cake looks insane! So rich and decadent, I want to sing an ode to it.

7. Alanna February 13, 2014 at 2:49 pm · Reply

What a lovely cake, and the photos are exquisite! I completely agree about V-day being a holiday for suckers (though I can’t say I’d mind being taken out for a swanky dinner…) Also, pork buns – yes!

8. Brianne February 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm · Reply

I love the size of this cake. It sounds so romantic! Dinner at home on Valentine’s Day is so great. We started doing that after a couple of years together and loved it. We’re going out this year, though, as it’s our first Valentine’s Day in our new town. Kevin is not a cake guy, so I’m making a chocolate pie for dessert. Too bad he’s not a chocolate guy either ;) More for me! I vote for Momofuku’s pork buns for dinner. Kevin made them for me a few years ago, and they were amazing. Enjoy your evening with your husband!

9. Stephanie February 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm · Reply

Oh my! Be still my heart. I’ve been seeing so much chocolate these days (on Pinterest mainly, of course) and the rich chocolatey cakes like this one seem to intrigue me the most. Looks so decadent and comforting. I want to sink myself inside it lol!

I’m such a procrastinator and we don’t have any set plans for V-day either. We were going to go out for dinner to our favorite place but of course they are already overbooked, rightfully so considering I only just inquired about it yesterday! So…I’m leaning more towards just staying in like you and whipping up something special and delicious. This cake is definitely calling my name though. Dang it! :)

10. Kathryn February 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm · Reply

I’m so with you – we’re at home, cooking something simple and finishing off the meal with something rich and chocolatey.

I love the photos in this post; they’re so wonderfully dark yet vibrant at the same time. Such skill!

11. Anne Bonney February 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm · Reply

What lovely ideas – both the little road trips and the dining at home. We may go to our favorite divey place near home – or perhaps I’ll bring home some steaks. Happy Valentine’s Day!

12. Rosa February 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm · Reply

Gorgeous cake! Lovely photography.

13. TheGreatZambini February 15, 2014 at 8:17 pm · Reply

Well, it’s a yummy and well photographed not-so-French cake at the end of the day :)

14. Tessa February 22, 2014 at 9:24 am · Reply

Just wanted to point out that this is actually exactly how they make chocolate cake in France, so it is indeed a French chocolate cake. It’s a lot denser and chocolatey-er than in America.

(I am living in France at the moment, and I have made it my mission to try all of their desserts, so I just wanted to clear up the French part in the name)

Love your blog!